Matū was established in order to fill a gap in early-stage deep science and technology financing in New Zealand. Our goal is to build a strong, diverse portfolio of technical, IP-rich assets. We invest both financial and intellectual capital, making our ability to contribute value to each investment a key requirement in our selection of portfolio companies.
Matū’s uniqueness comes not just from the sectors we focus on, but from the strong values we apply to the fund and the people within it. You can be sure that each investment is carefully selected through a robust due diligence process, and actively fostered to its fullest potential. The team at Matū have a wealth of experience in a variety of sectors with strong connections all over New Zealand and overseas. These connections allow us to access many projects at a very early stage, often before other potential investors. Accessing projects early on allows us to actively guide and support each company to increase the chances of success.
We are an Open (also known as Evergreen) Fund. This means that we will be raising capital on a regular basis, and will not be constrained by a fund cap or arbitrary time limits. It allows us to pursue investment opportunities to the optimal exit point, so that our investors can benefit from the full payoff at the right time. Our units are regularly re-priced to reflect the performance of the Portfolio. Existing Limited Partners will be given the opportunity to invest in future capital calls, and are also offered sidecar rights into individual company investments.
Our investment strategy has six key principles:
- To invest in scientific discoveries with disruptive commercial potential in global markets, with IP that can be robustly protected;
- To syndicate with complementary Funds, Government Agencies, Family Offices and individuals, bringing in broader expertise and connections;
- To add value as an active participant in each portfolio company;
- To reserve investment capital for follow-on rounds, supporting the continued growth and success of our portfolio companies;
- To assist portfolio companies with their capital strategy and preparation for future funding rounds; and
- To develop an exit strategy for each portfolio company, that remains constantly active within the timeframe of Matū’s investment.
We also have an Ethical Investment Policy that guides our investment process, and ensures that our investments have a positive impact on the world. Only investors who qualify as wholesale or eligible investors under a Schedule 1 exclusion of the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 can invest in the Matū Fund.